Monday, February 4, 2013

(stupid) Pinterest MVPs

Let's talk about the two pins I that are clearly the superstars of (stupid) Pinterest:  Refrigerator Oatmeal and Mason Jar Salads.  I make them both every week.  In fact, that's all I eat for breakfast anymore.



(Leaning tower of salads?  I was holding the baby.  Sorry.)

The salads are not exactly complicated, so it's kind of hard to improve them.  The oatmeal, however, was just waiting to be perfected...which I have!

Original Recipe:
1/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel-cut)
1/4 c. Greek yogurt
1/3 c. milk
1.5 t. chia seeds


You then take this recipe and add different things to it to give it the needed sweetness and flavors.  There are a gazillion recipes, as you can see on the original website.  There are a lot of good combinations, but I have found that I actually prefer it pretty plain the best.

My Recipe:
1/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel-cut)
3 oz. flavored Greek yogurt (I've been using the Chobani stuff.  One 6 oz. container split between two mason jars.)
1/3 c. milk
1.5 t. chia seeds (I get them at Rosauers.)
1 heaping t. of flax seeds (I get them in the bulk section at Winco.)

For the husband's, I throw a few frozen berries on top after I have mixed them, but like I said, I prefer mine pretty plain.  I think the berries, once they have thawed in the fridge, thin it a bit.  I prefer it thick...like oatmeal was meant to be.  I use strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, or whatever other flavor I find, and that's enough for me.  I really liked the version of the original recipe where you use the PB2 (I got it pretty cheap at Fred Meyers in the natural food section), cocoa powder, and bananas, so I might try a version of that my way.  The plain version has 230 calories, calcium, protein, fiber, tons of omega-3s, etc.  Basically, it's a about as perfect as you get.

My favorite part is the flax seeds.  They give it that needed crunch/chew it was lacking.  And, they have a lot of great health benefits.  And, I'll be honest...Dr. Oz said to add them to your oatmeal in the morning, so...

One more small tip.  I prefer the short, fat mason over the taller, skinnier ones for this one.  It's easier to get everything in without making a mess, and the husband claims it's easier to eat with the wider mouth.

*UPDATE* After having some issues with the chia seeds clumping, I've tried a few different solutions.  The other night I threw it all in a blender, and it totally worked!  It turned out WAY thicker, and I didn't have to shake anything.  I made four in one batch, and it worked great.  More dishes, but it may be worth it.




As for the Mason Jar Salads, I.  Love.  Them.  Some things I've learned:

  • Cherry/Grape tomatoes work way better than chopped up regular tomatoes.
  • Keep the crunchier veggies on the bottom.  Carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
  • Avoid cheese.  It just isn't worth it.


Favorite toppings:
Sliced eggs
Shelled edamame
Frozen peas
Sliced turkey
Real bacon bits (make sure there isn't anything that will make them soggy around it)

I want to try avocados, but am too chicken.  Someone perfect it and get back to me.

I now keep my lettuce in a mason jar in my fridge after I clean it and let it dry.  I find that it stays fresher, longer.  How did I live so long without mason jars?  

Thank you, (stupid) Pinterest.

3 comments:

  1. Mandi, if you put a bit of lime the avocados may work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, phone autos to Mandy with an I

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that with the other half all the time, but it seems to only work for one day, two max. I make these a week at a time. I read on one pin once to put a slice of lemon on top of the avocado, but it didn't make sense in my head. I bought a lemon to try it, but never did. I'm such a slacker!

    ReplyDelete