Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Orphaned Kitten Sweaters

This pattern has been adjusted to add holes for a collar.  Check out the updated pattern here.

Hi.  My name is Mandy, and I am addicted to crochet.

A girl can only use so many hats, scarves, and blankets, so I’m always looking for projects that can keep my hands busy, and at the same time, help others.  I’ve made many hats and scarves for the homeless shelters, and twiddle muffs for dementia patients.  After posting about one of these projects on Facebook, a dear friend of mine suggested crocheting kitten sweaters for orphaned babies.  She is a foster mom for HALO Animal Rescue, so she' knows what she's talking about.


From what I’ve been told, the babies have a hard time regulating their body temperature without their mom.  And, even worse, the babies will try to nurse on certain parts of their brothers, and can actually kill them.  (This is why it’s important that the tail hole be small.)  These sweaters could save kitty lives!  Believe it or not, I haven’t been able to find a pattern out there for such a thing.  The current “sweaters” being used are toddler socks with holes cut for the legs and tail.

Challenge accepted.



We’ve been working on prototypes and trying them out for a few weeks now.  This is the latest version.  We need people to try it out to see if the pattern works.  I’ve never written one before, and don’t actually read patterns normally.  I prefer YouTube videos.  Please help a girl out and give it a shot.  (If someone wants to make a video, I’d be glad to give credit and add it to this blog.)

Once this pattern is found to work, I will adjust it for other sizes.

Materials:  G/4.5mm crochet hook, scissors, yarn needle if desired, SEW-ON Velcro  (Make sure BOTH sides are sew-on.  I learned the hard way.), thread, sewing machine if desired, parchment paper.

Yarn:  100% cotton.  As much as I hate Hobby Lobby, I haven’t found a better cotton yarn in my price range.  It is soft and easy to work with.  I found the Peaches & Creme/Sugar ‘n Cream yarn to be scratchy and stiff.




Stitch Guide:  CH-chain, HDC-half double crochet, SC-single crochet, SL ST-slip stitch

Pattern:

CH 32

Row 1:
HDC into the 3rd stitch from the end
HDC 30 total

Row 2:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 30

Row 3:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 7
CH 6
Skip 6 stitches and HDC 5 into the next stitches
CH 6
Skip 6 stitches and HDC 6 into the rest of the stitches

Row 4:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 6
HDC into the back loops of the 6 chains
HDC 5
HDC into the back loops of the 6 chains
HDC 7

Row 5-13:
CH2 and turn
HDC 30

Row 14:
CH 1 and turn
SL ST 11
CH 2
HDC 8

Row 15 & 16:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 8

Row 17:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 2
CH 3
Skip 3 and stitch into the 4th stitch
HDC into the final 3 stitches

Row 18:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 2
HDC into the back loop of the 3 chains
HDC 3

Row 19-21:
CH 2 and turn
HDC 8
SC, cut the yarn, pull through, and weave in ends.

Add Velcro to hold the tail flap up and close it along the back.  After testing, we found that having the closure on their back makes it easier for them to move.  We tried many, many placements of the velcro.  You can use smaller pieces and make them go the other direction, but make sure you have at least three points to avoid buckling.  I decided that I’d rather use long pieces and have to deal with less starting/stopping with the sewing machine.  I’m far from a sewing expert.  The way I’ve done it here will give maximum room for growth.

The way I did the velcro, I used a 36" long piece of velcro to make 4 sweaters.  I cut the large piece into quarters, cut off about an inch from the quarter, and then cut what was left into 2 pieces.  There aren't exact measurements.  If I were to use a larger piece of velcro, I'd probably go longer, and base it on the size of the actual sweater.  We're still figuring out what's best for the velcro.  As always, your input is very helpful!

TIP:  After much research, I found out that the trick to sewing on yarn is to use parchment paper underneath the project to keep the machine from catching on the yarn.  It rips right off when you’re done.  Also, make sure you backstitch when you start and stop.  This Velcro will be pulled on a lot, so it needs to be reinforced.  I recommend sewing as close to the edge as possible, and sewing an X onto each end to give it more stability.

Thank you, Stephanie, for the inspiration, patience, wisdom, and startup capital.  Your heart is bigger than anyone I know.

Helpful images:

Row 1:  HDC into the 3rd stitch.

Row 3:




Row 4:  

 Row 14:  You can see the SL ST here.





 Row 17:



The end:




Here are the measurements for the finished project when I do it.  It will vary a little, depending on your tension.




Here is the parchment paper under the project before I sewed it.


What it looks like before you tear the paper off.



After removing part of the paper.

With the velcro.  The side with the two rows is the soft side, since some of it might show.  The small piece at the bottom and the single long piece are the scratchy side.

The medium piece is the soft side the smallest piece will attach to.  (This is the inside of the sweater.)

A closer view of the Xs on the Velcro.


From the top.

From underneath.


Velcro placement:
Inside of sweater:

Outside of sweater:

Final step:



Off to a new home:





Any suggestions are welcome!  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mandy,
    Thanks so much for sharing this!!! I have a kitten that was just a little too big for this if I put the Velcro on so I took off the bottom part and stitched it together and ended up putting a ruffle on the bottom to make her a little dress. It is the cutest thing ever!!! I wish there was a place to include a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I actually updated the pattern to include multiple sizes. The evolution of this pattern has been crazy! Go check it out. http://adventuresinstupidpinterest.blogspot.com/2017/08/orphan-kitten-sweater-take-3.html

      Delete
    2. This size, by the way, is now the Daniel. It feels HUGE now. :)

      Delete