Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ravioli Bake

The little girl LOVES ravioli, so this pin immediately appealed to me.  Unfortunately, it didn't actually go over all that well.


First off, it was quite boring, and I didn't even follow the recipe exactly.

1 jar of pasta sauce
1 package (25oz to 27oz) of frozen meat-filled ravioli
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
grated parmesan cheese

My version:
1 jar of red sauce
Enough alfredo sauce for one layer
1 package frozen cheese ravioli
(I didn't measure) mozzarella cheese
1 can artichoke hearts, drained

I used alfredo sauce for the first layer, just for the fun of it, and I added artichoke hearts to each layer.  It was just blah.  If I were to try this again, I would add fake sausage, heavily spiced ground turkey, peas, basil, olives, or SOMETHING with flavor.

My other complaint, and the main reason I probably won't try it again, was how long it took.  One of the main reasons I make ravioli is how fast and easy it is.  This recipe takes 55 minutes in the oven.  Ridiculous!  Who has that kind of time?!?  Okay, I do one weekends, but still!  Maybe if the ravioli was boiled before the dish was assembled, so the oven time was really only to melt the cheese?  Hmmm...other suggestions?


Also, I really wanted it to stand like lasagna, but it SO did not.  Now, that could be because I didn't let it sit at all before I scooped away, but there's no way I'm taking the blame here.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment